[UCIMC-Tech] Steering meeting this Thursday - several important proposals

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Mon Jul 30 00:40:51 CDT 2007

IMC Steering Group meets this Thursday at 8 pm.

I want to add the following agenda items:
1) Proposal to house the Alternative Press Center (from Baltimore) at the
UCIMC
2) Proposal to join the Media & Democracy Coalition

1) Proposal to house the Alternative Press Center at the UCIMC

Very exciting news - the Alternative Press Center in Baltimore is having
their building sold and strongly considering relocating to the UC IMC. They
are a collective of 5 staffers (1 lives here, 2 would move, and they would
hire ~2 people here) who publish the Alternative Press Index (since 1969).
For those in Alternative Media, this index has been essential to our ability
to locate articles in independent and progressive publications.  They also
caretake a library of 1800 books and 300 periodicals and public access
terminals.  They are interested in renting a private room and some storage.
They want to relocate their well organized library here as well.

In discussions I made it clear I could not speak for their group. Likewise,
Chuck, who I spoke to, could not make decisions for their group.  That said,
we discussed the following idea:
- They need a place for their library which is meant to be browsed by a
walk-in crowd and open to the public.
- We have no functioning library working group and need staffing support to
keep the space open to the public regularly (this is the biggest complaint
we get).
- So we discussed putting their library on the 1st floor and having some of
their paid full time staff available regular hours to staff both the library
and the IMC as a whole. This means full time staffing of the IMC space AND a
library keep in great shape!!!  And it means a place for them to keep their
library without paying per square foot like they are now for library
space!!!
I have asked for a Sept 1 move in date.  They have to move out by Oct 1.

Their collective would like to meet with us by phone this Thursday at the
Steering meeting.  This is a time to ask questions and share ideas.

Questions I have:
- How could we best coordinate with each other?  Could we establish 1-2 reps
from APC as empowered spokes from the Librarian Working Group, at the
steering meeting 2ce per month?  We could send interested future volunteers
to APC which would be a coordinating body for the librarian's group thus
dovetailing with our current decision making structure?
- Could the library be built in such a way that it is movable if need be
(not every day, but in the future)?
- How can we best protect the collection during IMC events?
- Let's look at the floor map of the 1st floor and imagine  space for shows,
the library, coffee shop, gallery space, workshop space and make sure we are
thinking long term.

2) Proposal to join the Media & Democracy Coalition

Not only is this right up our alley, and supporting a much needed National
Coalition formed by our friends at Prometheus Radio, Free Press, and others,
but it is also needed for a grant we are applying for.

http://www.media-democracy.net/what-you-can-do/join-us

"By joining the Media and Democracy Coalition as a member, your organization
is adding its voice to the growing call for a media system that serves the
public. Members are invited to participate in Coalition activities and
campaigns. There is no membership fee to join.

Membership is open to any nonprofit 501 c (3) or c (4) organization that
officially endorses the Bill of Media Rights. Endorsement of the Bill of
Media Rights<http://www.media-democracy.net/our-campaign/bill-media-rights/read-bill>does
not automatically make any organization a member of the Coalition, so
please join today!
- Danielle