[IMC-Tech] reporting IMC wireless outages here?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 11 15:35:06 CDT 2007

Is this the place to report trouble with the IMC wireless network?
In case it is, here's one:

Yesterday afternoon (3/10 around 6pm) I tried to use one
of the public terminal machines -- the right-hand one
on the table near the audio mixer -- but had no internet access.
"ifconfig" showed that the network interface had no
assigned IP address; and the machine had an antenna and no
network cable, so I assume that it's intended to use the local
wireless net.  I didn't think to try "iwconfig" on the PC
to check whether it could detect any networks at all.
Mark Enslin's Mac was also unable to get an
IP address at that time.  But a wired machine in the
publishing office did have normal outside network access.

   Stuart Levy