[UCIMC-Tech] Re: [rfu-tech] PC problem at WRFU - can you help?

Noel L. Vivar nlvivar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:00:53 CDT 2008

As Andrew mentioned, I think that a good formatting and re-install of
windows would be good for the studio computer. We may also want to
tidy up the Autorotation computer at the same time. (Although, the
autorotation computer belongs to Gary, so we have to pass this through
him.)

Looking at a longer-term solution, I suggest the following:
1) Locking down the studio computer even more, which means stripping
away even more user rights.
2) Locking down the hardware & especially the chords and power strips
behind the box. I have a feeling that the box has been accidentally
been kicked & unplugged multiple times, which could have contributed
to the death of the computer.
3) We may want to consider a more stable OS, or at least one that we
can lock-down more than MS Wndows. Perhaps Linux or BSD. Not sure how
well these would work given the state of our personnel and of the
programs that we need for the transmitter, etc. Also, if we do not
have the license for Windows XP or Vista, this may be our only option.
This would also be good for the autorotation computer. I have a few
suites in mind for the autorotation.
* These were just ideas. I'm thinking if we're fixing, we should fix
to try to make it not happen again.

Anyways, I can help out on this. -Noel

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org> wrote:
>  one in the WRFU studio?
>
>  Detail:
>  The studio computer at WRFU is malfunctioning - it is now refusing to
>  load windows. This is a serious problem, as we use it to operate our
>  transmitter-checking software.
>
>  Noel thinks he may be able to wipe the machine and start from
>  scratch. If this doesn't work, does anyone know of another computer
>  we could swap in to replace this PC?
>
>  FOR WRFU-TECH: If the computer can't be brought back on by some time
>  tomorrow, we'll need to identify short-term solutions, so we can
>  continue on air. One that occurs to me is temporarily moving the
>  automation computer into the studio, and loading the transmitter-
>  checking software onto it. Is this feasible? We would need to know
>  which cable leads from the studio computer to the transmitter, and
>  also would need to connect the computer back into the automation
>  channel (we would lose the ability to run audio on the 'studio'
>  channel).
>
>  I appreciate all your help with this rather urgent problem.
>
>  Andrew
>
>  Andrew Ó Baoill
>  Station Manager
>  WRFU-LP, Urbana 104.5FM