[UCIMC-Tech] production room cleanup

Josh King josh at ucimc.org
Sun Apr 20 22:42:31 CDT 2008

Chris Ritzo wrote:
> Andrew,
> As a member of the tech group, I had initially volunteered to work on
> the production workstation and the cleanup is kind of related to that.
> Shows and WRFU along with other groups are all interested in using the
> space too. We obviously want to involve these groups to make appropriate
> decisions.  The first thing on my mind is to see what's there, what
> needs to be moved, etc,  and then see what it will take to get the space
> where we want it to be. It might be that we don't need to move the
> filing cabinet, but I don't know.
>
> I also am not sure if any of this requires further approval from the
> production group or steering for that matter.  But there's a real
> need/desire from several groups, so it seems we should start moving
> forward.  If anyone else has an idea about this, please chime in.
>
> We need to meet, as you said and talk about how to proceed.  If you can
> make it to the IMC-Tech meeting this Tuesday at 6pm in the main space, I
> think this might be a good forum to start figuring it out.
>
> -Chris
>
> Andrew Ó Baoill wrote:
>> Tommy/Chris,
>>
>> I'm not sure how much time I can give to the issue, but I'm interested
>> in some involvement with the production room work, in part because of
>> the interactions with WRFU operations (and because improved audio
>> editing facilities are in the interest of WRFU).
>>
>> At our meeting yesterday we discussed the proposal to move the WRFU
>> printer, automation computer and filing cabinet. We think we may have
>> some ideas/solutions for the first two - though subject to some
>> constraints on placement. The filing cabinet may be an issue, because
>> our studio has been built to be ADA compliant, and it may be difficult
>> to find a space for the filing cabinet within the studio, but we may
>> be able to come up with some solutions, given some time.
Is this one of the filing cabinets in the vault now? I think the primary
concern is security, as many groups would potentially use the production
room space but should not be given access to WRFU resources,
particularly the automation computer. I think that the tech meeting is
definitely a good place to discuss this as Chris said, and I hope you
can make it on Tuesday.