[Imc-production] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] production room cleanup > Re: RFU Public Files

dan blah blah at chambana.net
Mon Apr 21 10:25:03 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Chris,
>  They way the RFU access to the Production room has been dealt with so far
> is by maintaining the lock with an alternative code that is the same as the
> code to the RFU studio door.

This is an issue for a completely separate group and has been in the
past.  When shows equipment was in that room things walked away due to
the number of people that had access to the combo.  Simply moving
shows equipment (mics, cables, etc.) into the main space in a cabinet
with a lock resolved the problem.  IMO giving *all* RFU members access
to a groups resources is no different than giving the studio combo
away to the production group w/o getting trained by RFU.

>  An issue with locking the public file cabinet is that keys get lost or
> misplaced. It would be better to have a combination lock. However, we've not
> seen a need for locking when it was in the Production room. If it gets moved
> out of there, it would definitely need to be locked.

There is plenty of room in the studio for the filing cabinet and
automation computer if we remove the table and shelves behind the door
that do nothing but collect random junk.  The only reason we didn't
put the automation computer in the studio in the past was because
there was concern it wouldn't be accessible when people were doing a
show.  This is no longer an issue with remote access enabled.

The only other issue is the printer.  I agree this should not be in
the studio do to noise but I see no reason why this can't be in the
cubby between the main entrance and the production room.  I already
have the holes drilled leaving only some quick cleaning to do.

>  As for training on security, it would be a big project to get everyone at
> RFU through it. RFU has a goal of doing a mandatory mass retraining for all
> DJs later on this year, so it could be incorporated into that as the most
> viable option to provide that.
>  Mike Lehman

We, as in RFU and steering, some time ago decided it was best to have
separate group for production that managed itself and is of course
open to all IMC (and of course therefore RFU) members.  Without this
clear line in the past it was impossible to keep things in that room
due to questions of which group is managing what.  At one point it was
generally assumed by the RFU membership that everything in the
production room was RFU's... including Rosa and Shows microphones and
cables to be used for making PSA's and other audio.  I think I even
helped this idea come around before I realized otherwise.

Of course the production room will be accessible by all IMC groups and
members but I don't think it's fair to allow groups like RFU and Shows
to lock all of their expensive equipment away unless you are trained
and known without giving the same to the Production group which
currently manages the nicest workstations in the building.  The
solutions seem simple enough to me knowing that the stated need for
having RFU equipment in the production room is mostly set on old no
longer applicable precedent that has been fought over to much in the
past.