[Imc-production] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] production room cleanup > Re: RFU Public Files

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Mon Apr 21 18:16:20 CDT 2008

Tommy (et al),

As your later mail (different thread) makes clear, there really isn't
a production group at the moment - you don't even view yourself as a
member of that 'group' - so your argument seems a bit contorted.

My understanding of the position to date is that the WRFU on-air
studio, for obvious reasons, is exclusively WRFU space, and we
contribute monthly to the central fund in recognition of that fact.
The production room has been viewed as a space where multiple groups
- the now dormant/dead video group, WRFU, possibly in the future a
'production group' - along with individual IMC members would be able
to do audio and video editing.

I would note that I have repeatedly emailed several people - Dan,
Tommy, etc - asking whether there was a group or individual
coordinating the production room project, and until this weekend
received no responses. There was no pathway for me to get involved
with the project. If you can truly say with a straight face that "no
one except maybe Dan is officially "in" the production group" -
notwithstanding Dan's later objection - then what is *your* position,
as the person ordering the WRFU stuff out of the space, if you claim
not to be a member of the group that seemingly has 'ownership' and
control of the space? In what way can the 'production group' be
consistent with the IMC's mission if the group's existence is not
mentioned on the IMC site, if the group doesn't meet, and its own
mailing list description doesn't mention that there's a group to go
with the administrative list? The production group is a figment -
perhaps a desirable figment, but at present a figment - and we should
be wary of reifying such entities at the expense of accessibility and
transparency.

I'm happy and appreciative that some individuals have come forward to
work on the important project of putting the production room in some
sort of order - and whether that's under the cloak of tech, or WRFU,
or 'the production group' doesn't matter. What does matter is that
the mission of the IMC - indeed the health of our collective
organization relies on being open to involvement, and taking the
concerns of all interested parties (including WRFU and its long-
standing practices and needs) into account into decisions that are
made, not declaring decisions by fiat or lecturing us on our supposed
failings.

This is a snippy email, and for good reason. WRFU is a long
established IMC working group, and we have a long-established
agreement that certain off-air operations are housed outside our
studio. I've put effort into getting engaged with this discussion *in
order* to productively engage with others, to have WRFU become
involved in management of and caring for what I took to be part of
our shared space, and to seek out solutions by discussion. Mails like
the one below (and others in these threads) are the email equivalent
of pissing on the wall to point out to others we're not welcome and
should go elsewhere.

I've copied this mail to the general IMC and WRFU lists, because I
think the issues at play are important to the station and the broader
IMC community.

Andrew