[UCIMC-Tech] Re: IMC membership - paypal follow-up

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 30 18:29:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 05:28:15AM -0500, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Jay Schubert <jay.schubert at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if paypal allows us to customize our response?  Is there
> > > any simple way that new memberships and renewals via paypal can trigger
> > > an automated email?
>
>   There is supposed to be one but it is broken; Paypal says they are fixing
>   it.
[...]
> Amazingly, there has been no bug report number
  Even more amazingly, now there is! The problem reports from various users had
been several "Service Tickets", and have been collected to a General Ticket:

PP-BUG07402397

 which covers "Overall Email Notification".  The General Ticket involved at
least 1 complaint from 2 months ago (perhaps someewhere includes our complaints
over 5 - 8 months ago period).  Paypal mid/high level tech support is aware of
the problem, and seems to be actually taking action: they say there was even a
temporary fix attempted 10 days ago, sadly which failed to work.   The tech
claimed a real fix could be "right around the corner", internal software
releases are about once per month.

Our account was today noted on the above "PP-BUG" General Ticket (it may not have been before!). Tech understands that we get notices for one-time payments, but don't get any notices for subscriptions.
  If this gets fixed properly, first news we get of this might simply be Bike
Project at last getting emails for subscription transactions.

                      Cheers,

                      Bary

--
Barry Isralewitz, Ph. D.  Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043    Office Phone: (217) 244-1612   Home Phone: (217) 337-6364