can now do custom auto-response to Paypal payments! got IPN working for UCIMC, Bike Project, etc. [was: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: IMC membership - paypal follow-up]

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:54:53 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 01:22:43PM -0500, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Barry Isralewitz <barryi at ks.uiuc.edu> -----
>
> Hello,
>
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Jay Schubert <jay.schubert at gmail.com>
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if paypal allows us to customize our response?  Is there
> > > any simple way that new memberships and renewals via paypal can trigger an
> > > automated email?
>
>   There is supposed to be one but it is broken; Paypal says they are fixing it.
>
>   There are other approaches:
> Easiest would be  implement Instant Payment Notification.

  Got annoyed tonight over waiting for paypal to fix things, so I just
implemented Instant Payment Notification on the ucimc.org Paypal account site.
Works great with both ucimc.org and thebikeproject.org donations.  We can send
those custom emails as Jay wants, and dole them to different groups if we want.
This was  done via a PHP script (ipntest.php).  Does anti-spoof verification by
posting details back to Paypal. Then other stuff.  Email me if you would like a
copy of ipntest.php.

 After a payment, Paypal contacts the script on our server, with all
the info from the transaction, and the script does the verification, then whatever we want it to.
So far, all I had it do was mail my personal account with full transaction info.
We could similar per-IMC-group, then have each group process the email they get.
Or, just add lines to the PHP script to send "Thank You"/Orientation mails direct to subscribers.

  I just turned IPN back off, since I did this test without consulting Finance
people.  Looks like not really affect performance of the site, or , even when
badly broken, interfere with a donation (this is Instant Payment
_Notification_, it acts after the transaction has ended).  I think ucimc.org
site donations would still work even if thebikeproject.org tanked although
ucimc.org kept going. But could make semi-personal data (but no credit card
numbers or similar) a little bit less safe since being sent as stored as
unencrypted email.  At least worth discussion.

  I think this won't tell us about non-monetary events, such as subscription
cancellations.  Can use other means. or wait for Email Notices to get fixed...

  I'll talk to Finance group about turning IPN back on for testing out
automatic "Welcome to The Bike Project!" messages.

              Cheers,

              Barry

 Or gather data on own website, use