[UCIMC-Tech] Re: [RFU] Re: [rfu-automation] External Hard Drive for RFU Music Library Project

Gary Cziko g-cziko at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 1 06:24:44 CDT 2008

Noel:

1) this would be more expensive, but instead having one external HD, I
> would recommend getting a RAID setup so everything has a back up.

Agreed.

> 2) Instead of using iTunes to organize, I would recommend using
> something open source. I am mostly saying this so that if we do move
> off ZaraRadio for our automation, we /might/ be able to use the music
> collection database straight into our new (open source?) automation
> manager.

The advantages of iTunes I see are that: (a) it is familiar to lots of
computer users (both Windows and Mac), (b) it will automatically download
new podcasts and delete older ones and (c) it organizes files in a way that
they can be used by other programs. Indeed, automation doesn't use iTunes to
play anything; it used only to rip, download and organize the music files.

> 3) I would also stay away from iTunes because it's a resource hog on
> our rickety old machines.

The automation machine may be several years old now, but it is a solid
Windows XP machine that has had no problems running ZaraRadio and iTunes at
the same time.

Sure, they may be other and even better ways of doing the automation and
these should be pursued. I just wanted to give some reasons for the current
setup.

--Gary