[UCIMC-Tech] Finding a Tech/CU-Win/Chambana/AAM Space

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 20:59:11 CDT 2008

Finance discussed how we could make a space for Tech stuff to happen.
Facing a significant deficit right now, we've determined  that any
solution needs to preserve our current income potential. Going with
something on the second floor, which is probably the best location,
really needs to be revenue neutral.

There are two rooms up there that have been discussed along the way. The
Blue Room seems to be the favored location, but our cost on it is
currently $325. The Pink Room is not so commodious, but the cost on it
is $250.

The revenue stream I'm aware of that's been mentioned in the past is to
solicit donations from the many email lists that are currently hosted.
One "advantage" is that Prairienet is going dark right now. I've sent at
least one interested party our way (GEO stuff, IIRC) as a potential
solution for them. Even a modest success in soliciting donations could
yield enough to cover our costs. We currently have additional creativity
to help with organizing and marketing such a package, if the Tech side
of things could could provide the backend side of something like that.

I also don't know if webhosting for community organizing, personal
webhosting, etc is potentially viable at this point in the arc of the
internet. Ideas along this line are ways that I think it's possible to
work together in this way to sustain a resource base congenial with our
mission/s.

One thing that we forgot to discuss tonight at Finance are ways in which
the Tech complex cost could be covered through cost avoidance. IIRC, the
monthly cost of our current internet pipe in the building is roughly
half of what the potential cost of either of the preferred space options
is. Thus, if the anticipated resources that have been discussed in the
past were available to avoid a current cost that is part of the current
overhead, I think that should be discussed as part of the solution also.

Let us know what your thoughts are on this. We'd also welcome discussing
this at Finance and  would be glad to put this on the agenda.
Mike Lehman