[UCIMC-Tech] Working Group Updates

Ed Hawkes oltime1 at att.net
Wed Mar 4 17:52:56 CST 2009

Here are the updates I have received. Looking forward to seeing you all at the meeting tomorrow night. Are there any items for the agenda?

Thanks,

Ed Hawkes

RADICAL LIBRARIANS

The Radical Librarians working group held another successful work day
Feb. 28th. Volunteers and members sorted books, cleaned shelves,
worked on compiling our existing periodicals list, categorized music
CDs from the WRFU "archive" and organized zines into categories.

We'll host a group of volunteers on Wed. 3/4 who will continue work on
the periodicals list and begin organizing videos in the Family room.

Our goal with periodicals is to track what titles were collected in
the past, and use them as we begin to make decisions about new
subscriptions. We've also moved our regular meeting times: every 2nd
Saturday of the month from 10am to 1pm, and every 4th Saturday from
1pm-4pm. At our next meeting we will discuss the existing UCIMC
library handbook and policies, and decide on a course of action for an
interim and/or long term cataloging plan. We'll then begin focusing on
re-cataloging the existing books and zines, and develop a staffing
plan using a volunteer/member pool.

PRODUCTION

During February, we welcomed and oriented several new members, and continued our conversations with visitors, filmmakers, and producers whom we met during the Film Festival at the beginning of the month.  We have a lot of recorded audio and video that still needs to be edited for UPTV, Internet, and radio airplay, so we are currently unable to respond to requests to assist with production work until we can recruit more volunteers to help train and edit.

We have begun planning several working relationships with other local organizations to expand the IMC as a media education resource over the course of the Spring and Summer:

Champaign Movie Makers - They are discussing the possibility of having their weekly meetings at the IMC, and also collaborating with us on occasional weekend workshops and screenings.

Don Moyers Boys & Girls Club - We are planning a youth media program with their development staff, to help them utilize a technology grant they received from Comcast.  The goal is to give the students hands-on experience that will not only give them valuable and marketable skills, but will allow them to complete a finished product that will be posted as content on the future B&G Club web site.  We will focus on the web-based media of podcasting and blogging.

READY School - We will present a short series of workshops on video editing to the READY students, culminating in a film of their own creation that we will send to UPTV and online.

Conversations with Shows and WRFU have begun about helping to provide audio content of recorded live IMC concerts, local interviews and events for WRFU's Saturday Simulcast block (8pm-12am).

Finally, we are working with Tech and Librarians to update old computers as workstations in three key areas of the building, each of which has a different use: a) public access computers/basic web stations in the library; b) media production computers for a media lab in the basement; and c) more computers for private office and advanced production use.

Above all, we are looking for more volunteers - and more help - with editing audio and video.  We are behind on UPTV/IMC Video News segments, and we are running out of tapes as volunteers are not transferring their own footage to computer after shooting.  We welcome donations of usable digital camcorders, audio recorders, tapes, and money to keep these projects alive for the local community.

PRINT

March issue of Public I should be available at the Steering Meeting

SHOWS

The big project that shows is involved in at this time is the IMC Fest scheduled for April 17th, 18th and 18th. There are several great bands and performers commited to being there, and an art show is being planned. Dan Blah is spearheading the project with help from the rest of the group. We are looking for sponsors, so if people know of anyone, or any businesses looking for an opportunity to promote themselves, please contact us.

We have seen an increase in requests for use of the space, and there are several events scheduled in the coming month. 3/13 the Canopy Club is presenting Bonnie Prince Billy, 3/14 a private party Ultimate Explosion is scheduled, 3/24 a concert by Spooktober and others is scheduled, and 3/25 brings the Insurgent Theatre. Early shows scheduled for April include a benefit for Darfur April 4th (the same weekend as Books to Prisoners Book Sale).

We are scheduling a work day to paint the back stage, inventory our equipment, and upgrade where we can afford it. We are also looking into putting wheels on the portable walls, to make them more portable, and add a skirt to the bottom of the stage.