[UCIMC-Tech] Grant non-IMC members IMC account?

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:23:25 CDT 2010

I met a potential volunteer for the IMC Computer Help Desk this
Tuesday. He was very enthusiastic about staffing the Help Desk and
contributing to Help Desk documents on the wiki. He's not a member of
the IMC. Today he attempted to edit the wiki and found he could not do
so without an IMC account. He attempted to create an IMC account and
found that account creation had to go through a human being. He mailed
the Help Desk address asking for wiki edit access.

I want non-members to be able to contribute to the wiki if they can,
but right now this means granting accounts on every service that are
benefits of IMC membership - mail, IM and microblogging accounts. It
would be kinda crummy for me to ask him to send me the network
troubleshooting documents he authored so that I could upload them to
the wiki.

What's the current policy for granting an IMC account? Does someone
have to be a member of the IMC to have an account? What would be the
effect of granting accounts to non-members?

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian Duggan