[UCIMC-Tech] [Imc-bookkeeper] Finance computer state

JOY imcbooks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 11:59:54 CDT 2010

Hi Chris,

There are several files that Carol receives regarding the AmeriCorps grant
that she is unable to open, both in Word and Excel so there may be some
issue with formatting, functionality and compatibility. Unfortunately, she
has to log onto the finance computer to open, read, and/or print these
files, and this often means that we both need access to the same computer at
the same time. It also means that those documents are also stored on the
finance computer and perhaps now lost.

We need to find a workaround so that Carol and I do not have to share a
computer to open any files. We should be provided with the tools to do our
job. When I arrive at the office, I want to be able to get to work and so
does she. It is extremely frustrating.

Joy

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Chris Ritzo <chris.ritzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I should say that tech has a preference for supporting Linux computers
> and will support Windows as needed. The finance computer is currently
> the only machine running windows that has a clear business reason to,
> because of Quickbooks. Regarding Open Office / MS Office - there isn't
> any real difference in functionality or compatibility.
>

> Chris
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:28 AM, JOY <imcbooks at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Brian and Chris,
> >
> > How many users on MS Office for 24? We need to get a copy for the finance
> > computer and the program director at the minimum. I would recommend it
> for
> > the VISTA, as well, if it is not currently installed on that computer.
> >
> > QB 2008 was 3-user, which allowed Jason to install it on his computer as
> > well. Since there has been no remote connectivity, that has been a
> lifesaver
> > and we should probably consider doing that again. The disk is missing. We
> > need to ask Jason about what version.
> >
> > We don't have a petty cash fund. For vendors where we don't have an
> account,
> > someone pays for the merchandise and then gets reimbursed or we issue a
> > check and place an order. I don't think we have time for the latter in
> this
> > instance.
> >
> > In finance we did determine that office supplies would be split 50/50
> with
> > the AC grant. I just determined the expense amount for the current grant
> but
> > the info is on the finance computer... This includes toner, paper,
> postage,
> > etc. Clearly, much of the work we currently do revolves around the AC
> grant,
> > so I think we can justify paying for a portion of these applications from
> > that. Having said that, I don't think there is enough left in the current
> > year budget and we certainly cannot wait until August.
> >
> > Everyone else would need to weigh in on the expenses. We should not wait
> > until Thursday. I will send an emai to the group.
> >
> > I've been unable to set up a Tech Soup account. Someone needs to make me
> an
> > approved agent for the IMC.
> >
> > Again, THANK YOU!
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Brian Duggan <bcdugga at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Joy,
> >>
> >> It's good that Jason got a backup of the Quickbooks files. I haven't had
> >> much luck getting a good clone of the finance computer's disk. I'm still
> >> working on it, though, and I haven't tried everything yet.
> >>
> >> We should start ordering the necessary software immediately. What I'm
> >> hearing we need is a copy of Windows, QuickBooks, and MS Office.
> >>
> >> Windows 7 Pro: $257.54
> >>

> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FQC-00129-Windows-7-Professional/dp/B002DHLVII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1279401727&sr=8-2

> [...]

Joy Davis
UCIMC Office Manager