[UCIMC-Tech] [Imc-bookkeeper] the Dell printer

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 14:22:00 CDT 2011

Leon,
The answer is that yes, Tech is its own entity. That's the meaning of
autonomy. Tech sets its policies based on the resources available to it,
the time available and the priorities it needs to set to accomplish the
mission-critical parts of its work.

True, we need to be better about communicating this to each other. Brian
probably should've noted that the old CRT monitor (I think that's what
we're talking about, right?)  should go to the recycling pile. Not a big
deal, so we shouldn't make a big deal of it. I think we have an
understanding of the concerns now and have a proposed solution.
Recycling is one more thing that Tech shouldn't be burdened with. Agreed
that an opportunity was missed to come up with a solution, but we have
it now.

If we need an example to understand, here's one. We all know about the
endless stream of requests Finance gets. A lot of this ends up being
someone supposing Finance should do things we don't. For instance,
fundraising or knowing info the working group knows but doesn't bother
communicating to Finance. Finance doesn't do fundraising, per se, but
does support fundraising.

Finance also can't read the minds of people. People wonder why we don't
have what they think we should, like complete record of donations and
transactions. We have the funds and can account for them to the best of
our ability, but we often don't have the other info UNLESS working
groups take the necessary action of following their funds and
transactions regularly and crosschecking the monthly reports. Heck, it
goes on for years and then people wonder why Finance doesn't have every
cent broken down the way they want it when they finally get around to
checking on this?

Like everything else at the IMC, Finance and Tech rely on a cooperative
effort with other elements of the IMC and with each other to make things
work. If that cooperation and coordination doesn't happen we can't
really force people to do what someone believes they should have done
first, although we usually figure it out.

Please everyone, be patient with each other and don't assume what the
other is supposed to be doing is what you think they should be doing.
Talk with each other and we'll figure this out.
Mike Lehman