[UCIMC-Tech] request imc shows test web site assistance

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:28:19 CST 2011

Isak,
A few follow up questions, followed by answers interspersed below.

It sounds like the group you're working with is developing on a non-imc
server and now want to move that site to the test-imc site that I created?
Is that correct?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Isak Griffiths <isak at ucimc.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Sorry, I have a lot of comments/questions regarding the test bed for the
> shows site.
>
> Comments/background:
>
>     1. Thank you.

Thank you.

>     2. Due to complications, they ended up working in Drupal 6 and not
> Drupal 7.

I'm actually glad to hear that since Drupal 7, while released officially,
still has modules that we use on the current shows site that are
unsupported.

>     3. At any point they/we are ready to move what they have so far to this
>         test environment.

See question above. Where are they developing? I thought that this is why I
created the test 7 site in the first place.

>     4. I'm not entirely sure why, but I know that they have managed to
> crash the
>         site several times and have needed to have it restored in their
> current
>         environment.

 Which site are they crashing- the drupal 7 site I created? If they want to
put something up in Drupal 6, then we don't need a restore, we need
something different.

> Questions:
>
>     1. What is needed to migrate the website-in-progress to the testbed:
>            -- from you
>            -- from me
>            -- from them

Ok. here's what's up. I will create a drupal test site for them to develop
on. If they've chosen to develop something somewhere else, then they can
figure out how to migrate it.  This was the whole reason I created the
testbed in the first place- so they could develop the test site to your
satisfaction and then when ready, we replace the old site with the new.

If we're talking about migrating a site that they've created on some other
server to the IMC servers. What's needed is a backup of the database that
the site is using, and a tarball or zip file of all the site files. That
database gets replicated on our database server, the files are extracted
onto our server and then the DNS gets updated.

>     2. Brian said he believes it would automatically be backed up
> routinely.
>         Is that true? And if so, do you know how often?

The Drupal 7 test site is likely not in the backups. Josh manages the
backups and I'm certain it's just core data like mail lists, and production
websites.

>     3. Restores... I think it's safe to assume they will be needed. More
> than once.
>         Is this something that you could show me how to do? (Keeping in
> mind that
>         I used to install and support operating systems, databases, web
> servers
>         and the web applications supporting the UofI's ILS.) If not, what
> would be
>         process and turn around time be?

You have to look at a Drupal site as a web framework that runs from a
database. The database can be backed up and restored, and so can the file
system. Both interact significantly in order to produce your website.
Depending on your real needs, you could use the Backup and Restore module.
I'm interested in hearing what use cases you need restores for on a test
site.

I could show you, but I'm not sure I want to. After all, you're not in the
tech group, you're in the shows group so really it's not your
responsibility.

    4. Unrelated: I really am interested in the answer to yesterday's
> questions,
>         especially the third one:  1) if tech and library currently
> contribute financially
>         to the IMC for the meeting space/times, and 2) if there were a
> designated
>         meeting room if tech/library would financially contribute for
> meeting there?
>         3) I guess for library and zine, there would be the additional
> question of if
>         there would be an interest in being located there.

For this #3- Can you clarify this? Are you asking if the library and zine
library materials can be moved somewhere else? Or are you simply asking
about meeting spaces?

The tuesday tech meeting can be removed from the calendar, or the space
location changed to Makerspace.

As far as the library, we pass the hat when we can. Do other working groups
pay rent for having meetings in these spaces? I was under the impression
that we could use the space when it was not in use, and pass the hat rather
than reserve and pay, granted I'm reserving the space on the calendar. If
the IMC is going to expect its working groups to pay to use common spaces
for their meetings, then I'll take them off the calendar. Hell, maybe we
should disband tech and library and while we're at it rename the UC-IMC
since it obviously has no solid connection to Indymedia anymore.