[UCIMC-Tech] [UCIMC-print] Production room

Kristina Williams kristinawho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:47:05 CST 2011

Yes, both Print and WRFU rent space in the Production room.  A part of my
frustration has been the general lack of ownership by not just careless
uninvolved individuals, but also the working groups who rent and have not
maintained this space.  All IMC members should be collectively caring for
the Production room, but renting working groups have a heavier
responsibility, because they have to balance the needs of their own working
group (for which they pay money) and the needs of the rest of the IMC
membership to have a functional production room.  Simply dumping objects
into the non-Public i portion of the Production Room is not acceptable.

I'm proposing, at least within the next week or so, that Print work with me
to figure out what is important to them in the Production room (and where to
put it), what can be dumped, and what can be re-allocated (such as books or
tech equipment), but this must be a group-wide conversation.  While only
Dave (and myself) uses the Production room for the most part, it doesn't
have to be that way.

-Kristina

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM, <illyes at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Regarding the long email from Kristina about the Production room being used
> for a dumping ground, Print rents 1/4 of the room and  RFU rents about a
> 4th. We both pay market rates for what we use. As the Print and RFU
> Americorps person, Kristina is completely within her rights to take anything
> that's dumped in at least that half  and  put it out into the main space.
>
> Sometime back, Shows was using the room as an equipment dump. Then they got
> an entire room for which, as far as I know, they pay nothing. What group is
> putting this stuff in the room now?
>
> Bob

Kristina Williams, News Media Coordinator
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center <http://ucimc.org>
kristinawho[at]gmail[dot]com
202 S Broadway
Urbana, IL 61801