[UCIMC-Tech] Website Newswires Not Updating, etc

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 3 19:04:06 UTC 2013

Chris,
Thanks for the update. Little point in doing things piecemeal, given the
limited resources.

I certainly have no problem continuing my editing and admin work, but my
tech chops are pretty non-existent. So put me down wherever that's fits
on the volunteer list.

How much is the paid Mollom subscription? If we need it to continue
anonymous, open publishing, then we need it. It's not IMC if it's not
anonymous, open publishing, so there shouldn't be too much debate on it,
unless the fee for Mollom is high. If so, then maybe we need Plan B, but
not sure what that would be at this point.

Short-term, if it's possible and we really don't have any other option
in getting things working again, it's reasonable to require user
registration as a temp measure. It's a bit of a compromise, but a few
other IMCs have done this under similar circumstances IIRC. It can't go
on indefinitely, as people might rumor-monger over that, but there's so
little global IMC stuff at the moment I'm not sure that would be much of
an issue. You do have to supply a valid email addy to register, but
that's no big deal under the circumstances and an email addy is hardly
identifying info, even if not specifically anonymous. I'd be happy to
write a message to that effect and post it if you want to go with this
as a stop-gap.

I think splitting between the news IMC site and the organizational IMC
site is a good idea. Too much conflation of the two is simply not a good
idea for reasons I can go into at length if people want me to. There's a
long backstory to it of which I am probably one of the few who knows the
history of where all the pieces fit together. There are good
journalistic, legal, and organizational reasons for us to continue
making that differentiation and I doubt that anyone else is likely even
aware of this need to maintain a separation, which having a separate
organizational site would help make clear.

I realize the BoD is probably as overwhelmed as everyone else in
addressing this. However, they should be aware that it is the website -
not the building, etc -- that defines us as an IMC. That makes it more
of a priority than people may initially realize.
Mike