[UCIMC-Tech] IMC public PCs Ubuntu-ified - and IMC communication

Chris Ritzo critzo at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Oct 9 13:07:21 EDT 2015

Stuart, this is a great case study emphasizing the need for more
communication as you state, and for coordinating who does what with the
IMC and working groups or members.

This list was always supposed to be a place for that dialog to happen,
and it should continue to be. Keep using it for that!

I'd also recommend that you all write up who does what and post
something publicly about how to get help with things like the public
computers, wifi etc, on signs in public spaces, and as email
communication to working groups and members.

Not communicating about Internet service in the building and who to
contact if something is wrong, results in everyone feeling like they
have to solve things themselves.

The recent issues with wifi in the Makerspace is a good example and the
issues Stuart describes about the public computers. If there's a person
to contact first, or a procedure to follow, write it down and
communicate that regularly to folks.

A group of local folks should get together to plan and manage the public
machines and any other tech stuff you feel you can handle. In the end,
you only should do the things you have capacity to do, and be ready to
set boundaries on your personal time to avoid burnout.

We could devote some time tomorrow from 9-12 to talk about this if folks
want to.

Chris