[IMC-US-tech] Re: comments + my dream redesign

max max at michiganimc.org
Mon Oct 20 16:23:14 CDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 04:53 PM, dan scott wrote:

> 1. The publish your media link on the right would link to a page of all
> local imcs with an explanation of open publishing ect. This would
> direct
> traffic back to local sites and theoretically increase local
> participation.

I have been thinking about how I hope that the IMC-US will increase
local participation.  I don't know if the right spot for that link is
right above the newswire, as it might confuse people because that
newswire is going to be syndicated.  maybe with enough explanation on
the page that the link led to would take care of this.

> 2. Photo essays. The default for dada appears to be an unsorted media
> gallery with ways to filter by category. We were thinking that for the
> us
> site that the photo essay module should be on the front page. This
> would
> tell a story with pictures, and not just be a random assortment of
> unrelated
> photos. The picture book app. Is pretty cool
> http://baltimore.indymedia.org/pbook/index.php

I've never seen the picture book thing before but it looks nice.  new
york also has a nice photo gallery archive from f15 at
http://warandpeace.nycimc.org/gallery/ powered by
http://gallery.menalto.com/ .  the advantage of the picture book is
that it would work more smoothly with dada.

> 3. lets push things forward--
> -the little arrows on the right would allow for scrolling.
> Orbitz.com has an example of what this might look like.
> Do we have anyone on board who could implement this, and do people
> like the
> idea?

I like this idea in theory.  I'm wondering if it's necessary, because
it seems like those scrollbars are used to put a lot of info into a
small box, and we have the entire right side all the way down to the
end of all the IMCs to work with.  another option is to change the
layout to something like melbourne.indymedia.org , where the other IMCs
are listed at the way bottom.  if we were to do these two things, we'd
be well on our way to my dream redesign for indymedia.  I've recently
been thinking about how it would be sweet for IMC-US to be laid out
like www.cnn.com or www.msnbc.com - not the hyper-corporate look, but
the idea of having a much smaller physical area of content, with more
separate fields (like 'top stories', 'video,' 'audio,' 'photo essays,'
and all sorts of categories), that are all updated more often.  that's
probably a lot of work to implement though.

max