[Imc-web] PT trial edits, etc.

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 9 17:22:42 CST 2007

Phil,
First, it is longstanding policy that authors may edit or ask to have
edited their own articles. This is common practice in journalism more
generally, for any number of reasons.

Second and third, I think there actually has been some confusion about
editing. I now suspect that since Brian is using his user account
finally, he now has new editing privileges for his own work and may have
confused this with having full editor privileges. Or it may be a wrong
setting in how drupal is configured. We'll get to  the bottom of it.
Don't sweat it, I'm not other than the steps we've taken so far. Editing
policy has worked well for a long time and this has included editors
featuring their own articles, provided they follow our policy on this.
The fact that -- whoever did it for whatever reason -- they didn't
follow procedure was what irritated me the other day. Generally, because
we do operate by consensus, we figure it our as we go along. There are
longstanding policies and editorial positions that may not always be
clear to new editors and your point on the briefing needed for this is
well-taken.

Fourth, we do have some logs, but much of them are dumped regularly,
because we live under a government system that doesn't always respect
the press. In any case, it's never been a big issue and it won't be as
long as we get back to following our long-established practices,
policies, and precedents. They are tested and they work when followed.

And we can just turn it off for a day or so and revise permissions if
things get to be a problem. That hasn't happened yet and I assume it won't.
Mike Lehman