[Imc-web] Re: [IMC-Tech] Adding Tags to Articles

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 10 15:09:46 CDT 2007

Doing a little research, I came across these links:
http://digg.com/privacy
http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/06/03/web_2_privacy/1

del-icio.us is associated with Yahoo, which has long been infamous for
its exploitation of user data through web beacons:
http://del.icio.us/help/privacy

technorati
http://technorati.com/about/privacy.html

The Google thing seems associated with the Google blog mechanism. Google
has some big issues with privacy, too, and providing a direct link from
an IMC seems problematic.

Interesting comments on the issue as a whole:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/openyou_the_limits_of_privacy.php

All in all, this makes the IMC site seem to look like a blog, even
though we've got consensus that IMC is NOT a blog. Having these tags on
the site will tend to encourage blog-type behavior, something which
we've been struggling with  lately, even though we've explicitly
rejected blogging as part of the main news site.

Note that I do not object to setting up a separate UC IMC blog, if some
members feel we need it. But I think that making the IMC news page look
like a blog is a mistake.
Mike Lehman