[Imc-web] Re: [Imc-production] Tech. training program

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:27:13 CST 2009

Jason,

Thanks for passing this along.  It would be great for the IMC to participate
in this somehow.  Here are some ways in which we can help, if the Boys and
Girls Club is interested in utilizing our resources and connections in the
community:

1) At the IMC we have a community radio station (WRFU 104.5), media
production lab (audio/video), and independent newspaper (Public i), among
other artistic and civic projects.  We can offer teens in the program
hands-on experience in writing, shooting, interviewing, and producing their
own local news stories for radio, public-access television (UPTV), print,
and the Internet.  Our volunteers could tailor their experience to the teen
computer center's curriculum.

2) We also have a large performance and conference space if the club is
interested in holding an event or meeting.

Please let them know that we would be glad to meet with them to learn more
about their plans and their vision for a youth media program.

-Stephen

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Jason Keist <jkeist2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>    I recently found out that the Don Moyers Boys and Girls Club has
> received $15,000 from the Comcast Foundation to fund their teen computer
> center. They are also forming a training program for the new technology they
> are investing in. I have been thinking of ways we could assist in this
> endeavor, but am looking for ideas from those of you who would actually be
> involved in providing the services/resources. I plan on contacting Michael
> Byrd today, who may be part of this initiative, to inform him about what we
> can offer. Any thoughts will help. Thanks.
>
> --
> Jason Keist
> Program Development  Coordinator-Intern
> Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
> 202 S. Broadway Ave., Suite 100
> Urbana, IL 61801

Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor