[Imcfest-volunteers] Alcohol at IMCfest 2007...

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 19 09:54:15 CDT 2007

I have concerns about the IMC taking out a temporary alcohol license.
This could set a precedent with the city that we would need such a thing
any time we choose to allow BYOB in the future. This would considerably
reduce our flexibility to allow BYOB on a case by case basis.

Also, given the current issues, I've got concerns about managing BYOB
ourselves for such a big event. While it is some months away, I think it
will be tough to get our ducks in a row between now and then. It would
be much better to start off with a series of small events, to practice
management of BYOB, before depending on doing it at a well-advertsed,
large event that draws many people over a weekend.

Let me throw out a third possibility -- have a vendor do it. They could
get the temp license and not set a precedent about the IMC. They would
likely have a track record that would give confidence to the city and
organizers that we can have a good time that includes adult beverages
without causing problems.

Another point to consider is making one day's events "family day" -- or
even a designated portion of a day -- so that people can be assured that
we want to include everyone without issues like alcohol getting in the way.

As everyone knows, I'm not anti-fun. I look forward to having a beer or
two at IMCfest myself. I think Dan's proposal on how to do BYOB is a
good starting place for when we contemplate BYOB again -- it is going to
be very difficult to develop our venue to its full potential without
something like that. But I am leery of being able to put all the pieces
in place between now and November.
Mike Lehman