[Newspoetry] radio utopia on WEFT?

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Fri Jul 9 18:47:16 CDT 1999

HERE IS WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO:

i'd like to put together a proposal to the WEFT programming committee
that will knock their socks off, such that they HAVE to give us 1-2PM on
Saturdays into perpetuity, no questions asked.

i'd like to participate in the writing, recording, editing and broadcast of
RADIO UTOPIA.

i'd like RADIO UTOPIA to be the best damn political statement and piece
of audio art and quality FM radio broadcast ever.

i'd like everyone who participates to make a living wage doing it, but
i'm willing to be flexible on that point.

i'd like to see a group of 4 or 5 people decide what time every week they
will meet to plan the show, and i'd like for that group to stay
committed.

i can give an average of 5 hours per week to RADIO UTOPIA.  more, if it's
friendly and inspiring work.

i have lots of studio gear.  i would like us to have another portable
recording set-up...maybe even one that's mini-disc based.  Sweetwater.com
is advertising a SONY MD-R55CG, the palm-sized minidisc recorder, at a
"special price".  which will proably be 25-30% off of the $399.95 list
price.  compare this with $700-800 for the TASCAM portable DAT machine,
and you have an idea of how easy it's getting to make digital recordings
in the field.

i have already sent out a long e-mail about what RADIO UTOPIA could be on
a shoestring budget.  it would be nice to work on being better funded.

more soon

paul