[Newspoetry] WAL-MART ANNOUNCES MANDATORY ANTHEM

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Sat Oct 2 15:58:17 CDT 1999

(Associated Poets)

The Wal-Mart international supermarket chain announced today that all
"associates" shall sing the new "Wal-Mart Associates Mandatory
International Anthem," at the beginning of every shift.  Lyrics and
chords are reproduced here.  Sheet music is available on request via Paul
Kotheimer <herringb at prairienet.org>, faithful commercial songwriter,
newspoet, and devoted WAL-MART shopper.

When contacted, Kotheimer's mamagement declined to comment on the
royalties the songwriter will receive for each on-the-job performance of
the new anthem.  Expert music industry sources estimate that, at 1.3
cents per singing clock-in, the performance royalties should total $2.14
million per year.

WAL-MART ASSOCIATES' MANDATORY INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM

(c) 1999 Paul Kotheimer
(P) 1999 the hand-made record label
*PLEASE NOTE that a line break in the text is not necessarily a
measure-break in the music.
                                    [ --marching tempo]

4/4|C                |G7             |
    God  bless our   SuperStore!

|G7    		|C                 |
God  bless our   mall!

|F                                 |C
God bless the chain that sends our wages down the drain

           |D7                          | G       Gmaj7 G7
while de- stroying local business and cor-rupting City Hall,

      |C             |G7
LORD, let us build a SuperStore

              |C       G7        C       Dm    C/E | F    | .\.
such that the cinder blocks and concrete touch the  skies! --

                  | C   F   C
Our community will have no voice,

             | C   F    C
The town will have no choice,

            |C    G7   |C                          :||
And we will never union-ize!  (sing it again, O...)

THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL		studio 109
1006 south garfield			109 Goose Alley
urbana, il 61801			urbana, il 61801

(217)344-4302	record label