[Newspoetry] tech questions / NEWSPOETRY LIVE AT SWEET BETSY'S!!

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 23 10:39:22 CDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:32:44PM -0500, chyn at onthejob.net wrote:

> Count me in to the part-ay.  The dates are good.
>
> > -which would be better for this, realaudio or MP3?
>
> MP3 -- It's much more compressed -- so I'm told.  The
> software to make a file MP3 is free at mp3.com.  I would like to learn how
> to make MP3 files (well I learned, I just haven't *done* it yet)

Realaudio is typically the more compressed format (by a factor of 5),
but its sound quality suffers greatly as a result.  Streaming
realaudio is easy to put up (I did it for Schneertz once and I sorta
remember how), and many browsers come with it preinstalled.  I would
vote for realaudio, because to play streaming mp3s typically requires
ISDN bandwidth or greater, whereas realaudio can stream (it sounds bad
but is fine for speech) over 28.8 modems.

Now of course you can adjust the compression ratio on most mp3 and
realaudio encoders, but often not on the players.  Therein lies the
prob ...

another good link about mpeg video and audio is www.mpeg.org, which
includes links to lots of free mp3 software.  and that's the big
advantage of mp3 -- the software is (mostly) free.  but I could go on
and on about how awful the mp3 patent holders are about threatening to
sue people who make free mp3 encoders which they think might infringe
on their patent.  mpeg.org has info on that.