[Newspoetry] PIANIST/COMPOSER CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH MAKES THE DAILY ILLINI!!!

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 15 16:26:00 CST 2000

             CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH IS THE 'LINDEN'!!!!

RE: MAKING THE FRONT PAGE ARTICLE ON MAY 1, 2000 IN THE DAILY ILLINI

Here is tape from an extract of an interview (mine) that happened as soon
as I got my front page in there...This happened on May second between
the photographer of the article, MR. JESSE EDWIN EVANS, and MR. MILTON
CARRERO, the journalist and writer of the article.

JESSE EDWIN EVANS (photographer): What do you see on page one of the
article?

"I see a picture of my vivacious self--beautiful, wonderful, 'linden'-ny,
and fine. The cap that I wore represented the 'full linden' in me--that
is, I feel like dancing and smiling with all of my full joy and delight
for all of my beautiful, wonderful talents that I have. The white shirt
represents the fullness and brightness. The glasses I wore represents the
fact that I feel so romantic in them because it matches my face and I
would never, ever, look romantic without them. The beautiful smile
represents "the Beverly in me" (since I am from Beverly Hills, a good
neighborhood from the Chicago's south side) and the smile invites all of
my girls I know to dance with me, for I have plenty of ballroom dance
training."

                           --CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH

JESSE EDWIN EVANS (photographer): What do you see on page six of the
article?

"I decided to say it just like this: I feel so lively with this beautiful
page. The bird's eye view of the camera you did above me playing the piano
is still so gorgeous enough that it seems like I like this page much more
often than even page six. "

                           --CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH

MILTON D. CARRERO (writer of the article): How do you feel about page
six that I wrote?

"To tell my story--it was a real, lucky picture. Perhaps the luckiest
picture of me. The face, although rather obscure, is bountiful for it
tells me that I adore playing the piano as much as my writing and dancing.
Playing the piano is just like a marriage to me--I am feigning being a
husband while the piano I play is my wife. This is what I love in life--
playing the piano and receving the felicity and fulfillment music has to
offer. The page six article tells about myself so well even without the
profile picture like Jan Ladislav Dussek used to have--that is, the right
side of the body facing the audience. My mom says to me that "YOU KNOW
PIANO!!" And I was right. If someone asks me almost any piano question,
such as what was the Moonlight Sonata?, I can 90 percent of the time
give them the answer. I am so, so, intelligent about music and I adore
it a lot more ever since I was child prodigy at 8 on the piano and
started composing when I was ten. Again, I say page 6 makes me happy,
and I want to thank all of the members of the School of Designing a
Society, including Bethany Ruth Cooper and Marina Margherita Manetti,
for making me try more things and do a lot more with my musical talents!"

                           --CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH

You can see the lively, happiest, intelligent, debonair and tintillating
example of CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH and his musical 'bon vivant' in the Daily
Illini article online at: http://www.dailyillini.com. Just step lively to
the Archives link in the site and check May 1, 2000.

With musically best regards,

1710 West 106th Street
Chicago, IL 60643
(773)233-0356

Right now I have two emails; the top one is my home email address:
jas1038 at earthlink.net
cjsmith2 at uiuc.edu