[Newspoetry] SDAS Schedule for Spring 2000

chyn at onthejob.net chyn at onthejob.net
Wed Feb 2 16:38:09 CST 2000

YOU ARE INVITED ....

Schedule for the First 6 Weeks
of the School for Designing a Society

* Morning Convergence *
M & TH 10-12 AM @ 902 S. Lincoln Apt. 206
The convergence is a meeting of the whole school to discuss fundamental
concepts of the school, participants' formulations of ideas, and to
provide a forum for the small groups to present work in progress

* Speaking, Language, Fundamentals *
Initiators: MarkS, Brandy
Time: TBA

* Composition Seminar *
Initiators: Susan, Herbert, MarkE
T & TH 5:30 - 7 @ 902 N. Lincoln Apt 207

* Design Process *
Initiators: MarkS, Tim
First Meeting: F  6 PM @ Brandy, Suzanne, Becca House on Race St
Making false statements which embody our desires and then using these as
the basis for designing society

* Designing School *
Initiators: Rob
W 10 - 11 @ 902 N. Lincoln Apt 206
"I know how to critique and unsettle school but I dont yet have a language
for designing school."  We formulate our criteria for and design desirable
schools.

* Redesigning Institutions *
Initiators: Pauline
W 11 - 12 @ 902 N Lincoln Apt 303
Topics: Institutions as enabling structures. Institutions that: preserve
safety; prevent conformity; provide spaces for autonomy and community to
collaborate; deal with power dynamics; embrace emotions

* Permaculture *
Initiators: Rob
First Meeting: F  9 AM @ 409 N Race St
Noticing and designing the relationship between human, animal, and plant
systems so as to promote diversity.  Planting designed gardens this
Spring.

* Prison Alternatives *
Initiators: MarkE
T 10 - 11 @ 409 N Race St
Inventing proposals for the institution we now know as "prison."  Working
in correction institutions in the area as volunteers.

* Writing Group *
Initiators: Sigfried, Susan
W  6 - 8  PM @ 902 S. Lincoln Apt. 206
mutual assignment giving; discussion of pieces in progress; focus on
designing society, defined loosely; focus on fiction

* Cybernetics Group *
Initiators: Steve & Ben
SUN 7 PM @ 902 S. Lincoln Apt 303
A round-table talk where we try to ellicit our interests from each other
and then apply cybernetics to them.

* Plagarists *
Initiators: Ben, Danielle
First Meeting: Fri Feb 5 at 4:30 PM @ 409 N Race St
Plagarists meet to remind each other of compositions created here and no
one else.  We will make compositions out of compositions in the form of a
library, a listserv, a web site, a radio show

* Compositions in the Aftermath of the WTO Action *
Initiators: Paul, Steve
MON  9 - 11 PM @ 1006 S. Garfield (Paul's house off of Carle Park)
Discussions and brainstorms in the aftermath of the WTO protest which are
to led to a "Composium" of organized thoughts.

* Vocal Group *
Initiators: Myles, Sky
M 12:30 - 2 PM @ 210 Grove St.
sound poetry; vocal games; pieces to perform at future protests
How could one address problems vocally?

* History Reading Group + Ecuador Study Group *
Initiators: Pauline, Danielle
T 11 -12 AM @ 409 N Race St
We will the history we have always wanted to learn including the recent
revolutionary events in Ecuador

* Gallery and Performance Space *
@ Grove Street House
A resource for the various groups to use

* Food Not Bombs *
Initiator: Raia
TH during dinner @ 409 N Race St
Recycling food to feed the hungry

* Building and using a Pottery Wheel *
Initiators: Steve (neighbor), Pauline
T, W, TH 5-7 PM @ Steve's house (one house N of 409 N Race St)

* Building a darkroom *
Initiator: Libbie
@ basement of 409 N Race St

* Dinners *
 M, T, W, TH 7 PM @ 409 N Race St and  Fri @ different peoples houses
The public is welcome to attend

* All School Meeting *
M 7:30 during dinner @ 409 N Race St
Planning practical community activities (dinners, trips, guests, events)