[Newspoetry] The Supreme Coke-boat diplomacy

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:27:33 CDT 2000

----- Forwarded message from Albert Cheng <acheng at ncsa.uiuc.edu> -----
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:01:17 -0500
To: hdf at ncsa.uiuc.edu
From: Albert Cheng <acheng at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject: (non-work) The Supreme Coke-boat diplomacy

I told you, no kings or queens or mighty worriers can refuse THE COKE.
"I like to teach the world to sing a perfect harmony,..."

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Coca-Cola Co. (NYSE:KO - news) said on Wednesday it had
sent a shipment of soft drinks into North Korea, becoming one of the first
U.S. companies to crack open the economically isolated totalitarian state.
A spokesman for Atlanta-based Coca-Cola, the world's No. 1 soft drink
company, said the shipment was believed to have entered North Korea by
truck from the Chinese border town of Dandong.
``I got a message this morning confirming that we had actually moved in,''
said Coca-Cola spokesman Robert Baskin, who added that the world's leading
soft drink producer intended to build up its presence in North Korea over
time.
Coca-Cola, like all other U.S. companies, was prevented from doing business
in North Korea for nearly half a century because of U.S. government
sanctions against the communist-ruled nation.
Most of those sanctions were lifted on Monday following a ground breaking
summit last week between the North and South Korean leaders. Coca-Cola has
operated in South Korea for several decades.

Albert Cheng
Scientific Data Technologies Group               217-244-1955 voice
Information Technologies Division, NCSA          217-244-1987 fax
----- End forwarded message -----
Editor-within-chief,
Newspoetry dot com