[Newspoetry] Judith Resnik/Challenger disaster

Charles Smith cjsmith2 at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 23 07:46:31 CST 2000

You remember the pictures of the Challenger 7 just before the ill-fated
liftoff on January 28, 1984.

Perhaps you don't know Judith Resnick. You probably know Christa
McCauliffe, but not Judith.

I found out from one journalist that she was a concert pianist. I never
saw her in person; just saw the TV pictures. I quickly became a fan
of her just before the shuttle lifted off. At that time, I was on my way
being a concert pianist, and had dreams of meeting Judith in person
and perhaps playing a duo recital at Carnegie Hall. That didn't happen,
of course.

Sadly, I was at school and I missed the disastruous liftoff of 74
seconds.
I was only informed by my mother when I went home about the disaster.
I saw the whole tape of 74 seconds and when I saw that exploding
fireball
shattering almost totallyt the Challenger into bits and pieces...

I was crying for her and the other 6 members of the crew. But I cried
for
Judith as well because she will never be alive again.

And even though she's gone, I will never forget Judith Resnick.