[Newspoetry] LINDIE LINDA!!!

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 26 03:27:37 CST 2000

This poem is in reaction to seeing the PBS program, "Hey, Mr. Director!",
which featured segments from Broadway musicals, including "Let Me
Entertain You", from the musical "Gypsy" (for the character Gypsy Rose
Lee). If I were to be the librettist for "Gypsy 2", I would make a new
character who loves burlesque dancing--LINDIE LINDA! Hence, this poem is
goin' to go just like this....

                    LINDIE LINDA

       --by Charles Joseph Smith ("Linden")

Lindie Linda,
Lindie Linda,
She dances so beautifully,
That Lindie Linda.
Lindie Linda,
Lindie Linda,
She dances so wonderfully
That Lindie Linda.

She can do an arabesque
That is so picturesque
And so Chopinesque
In the world of burlesque;
She is like Gypsy Rose Lee
For she is like an Lindenbaum---a linden tree,
So lively and divine and free

Charles Joseph Smith      "I am called "The Little Lily of Salsa" because
URH, 101 Daniels Hall      I feel like a happy, little lily flower when
1010 W. Green St.          I dance to the salsa music. But I can dance
Urbana, IL 61801-3097      to almost everything I can think of."
(217) 332-2143                           --Myself