[Newspoetry] Lamar Johnson gets a new job!

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 26 03:57:10 CST 2000

LAMAR JOHNSON TRADES HIS BAT AND GLOVES FOR DRUMSTICKS!!!!

Lamar Johnson, former player for the Chicago White Sox in the 1970s,
decided that he took up jazz drumming. He is currently taking drum lessons
from Theodore Jacobsen Kurtis, a renonwed jazz drummer himself.

Lamar was inspired to do the drums by seeing the liveliest jazz drummer in
person while at the Assembly Hall in the 1970s. You guessed it--it was
Buddy Rich. Theodore gave him a few cassettes on Buddy Rich and his band,
and Lamar was astounded by Rich's impeccable drumming, and Lamar ended up
inspired.

He had 3 months of practice and lessons and finally Theodore gave him a
deal to do a
gig with a very gifted Chicago-born singer--Rose Winebrenner and his
ensemble. He will appear as guest jazz drummer at Magnum's, on Chicago's
near north side, soon....

Charles Joseph Smith      "I am called "The Little Lily of Salsa" because
URH, 101 Daniels Hall      I feel like a happy, little lily flower when
1010 W. Green St.          I dance to the salsa music. But I can dance
Urbana, IL 61801-3097      to almost everything I can think of."
(217) 332-2143                           --Myself