[Newspoetry] Who was the name of the woman drummer in the Vogue awards?

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 26 04:07:51 CST 2000

Dalien Rosen, a journalist for Soul Magazine, happened to go to the taping
of the Vogue Awards on VH-1.

One segment of the show featured James Brown and his funk-filled soul band
doing "Sex Machine." Dalien realized that the drummer in the band was a
woman.

Sure, Dalien enjoyed every minute of "Get-up--pah!" from "the hardest
workin' man in show business,"  but Dalien's eyes were not really looking
at
James' funky dance moves. She beamed her eyes on the funky style on the
woman drummer. Sorry--it was not Terri Lynn Carrington.

After the show, Dalien Rosen tried to go backstage to the green room so
she can get the drummer's name. Unfortnately, show security guards blocked
the entrance to the green room and she was forbidden to enter there
because she did not have a press permit license or press idenfication that
was needed to gain access.

She walked away from the set disappointed until a drummer in the audience,
Sheila E., came up to her. She told her the name of the drummer was
Lynette Flavlin, one of the line of the newest young divas of the drum
set. Lynette, for a time, was doing drums for the "Vibe" TV show.

Charles Joseph Smith      "I am called "The Little Lily of Salsa" because
URH, 101 Daniels Hall      I feel like a happy, little lily flower when
1010 W. Green St.          I dance to the salsa music. But I can dance
Urbana, IL 61801-3097      to almost everything I can think of."
(217) 332-2143                           --Myself