[Newspoetry] A Timely Announcement

Bill Wendling wendling at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 27 17:22:33 CDT 2000

----- Forwarded message from Elizabeth Fraser <ehf at bookbeast.com> -----

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:26:22 -0500
From: Elizabeth Fraser <ehf at bookbeast.com>
To: Illinois Volunteers <ilvolunteers at lists.votenader.org>
Subject: [Ilvolunteers] NADER IS ON IN ILLINOIS!!--Nader speaks at the UIC Pavilion October
 10th!

Nader is on the ballot in Illinois and
he is speaking at the UIC Pavilion October 10th!!!!
Board of Elections--4 o'clock

Today at 4:00 pm at a hearing before the State Board of Elections
hearing officer the Democrats withdrew their objections to the Nader
petitions!! After the state came up with their figure of at least 27,
698 signatures and the Greens came up with a figure of about 900
more, the Democrats ceded defeat and surrendered.

NADER IS ON IN ILLINOIS!! SPREAD THE WORD!! NADER IS ON IN ILLINOIS!!!

Call the press -- call the radio stations -- Nader in on the ballot
in Illinois!! We will be having a press conference at 11 am at the
new office (59 East Van Buren, 14th floor) so invite everyone you
know and come to celebrate our victory!

How did the Green Party manage to fight back an onslaught from the
Democratic machine? With TREMENDOUS people power! We had more than
150 different people work on the Battle for the Ballot. 150 different
volunteers coming in to defend Nader's place on the Illinois ballot --
 that is extraordinary. That's how we are celebrating now -- because
of people working hard to defend our democracy.

Not to mention the dozens and dozens of people that worked so hard to
collect the 39,000 signatures in the first place. A huge thank you to
everyone -- especially Emmitt, Rita and Sean -- who worked so
tirelessly to keep on collecting signatures, in the face of what
seemed to be hopeless desperation. They kept on plugging away and
thanks to them we are running the Nader/LaDuke campaign in Illinois.

This is not formally complete (we have to wait for the State Board of
Elections to meet early next week and officially rule on the report
from the hearing officer), but the Democrats have withdrawn all
objections, so there is nothing left but the paperwork.

TIME TO SING!!! THE BATTLE FOR THE BALLOT IS ALL OVER!!!!

Ralph Nader will be at the UIC Pavilion on October 10th!!!!!!!!!!
NOW, we need to fill the Pavilion October 10th. Get in to the office
at 59 East Van Buren, 14th floor. Get some tickets for the super
rally, sell them to your friends and family and get ready to rock on
October 10th with some independent progressive politics!
Call 312.588.0974 to order tickets by credit card now.

Show your support and spread the word.

Dan Johnson-Weinberger
Nader 2000 General Committee
312.588.0974