[Newspoetry] Rick here RE oh shit

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 2 12:56:07 CST 2001

Um...Hi, everyone. I'm the author of the unfortunate question/answer in
that Newspoem.

I wish to clear up a few things about my intentions in writing that. I
supported Nader and signed petitions (even e-mailed ones, though I do
pick and choose those since it's hard to tell which ones will be
effective). I wasn't as active as Rick, but I tried to convince as many
people as I could that voting for Nader was a good thing and that voting
for any evil, lesser or otherwise, was bad. I'm also very disgusted with
the result of this "election". We now have a person ready to step into
office who we didn't vote for and who quite probably LOST in Florida (not
to mention in the popular vote). None of this matters anymore, though,
because of the Supreme Court.

The question was a silly response to a perceived (through CNN and the
like) view that people protesting for recounts may have been Nader
supporters gone AWOL. The meaning is that, no, not all of us have
abandoned Nader. I purposly left the options for answering devoid of
numbers to avoid implying that anyone has abandoned Nader, though I fear
they may be out there. If you are one of those who abandoned Nader and
now think Gore is good, when 3 months ago you were saying the opposite
then the question, hopefully, should have made you think about what you
were doing and, more importantly, why.

You, Rick, aren't one of those people. Neither are we.

Should there be a recount? Definitely. There isn't any time left, but all
votes should be counted. Does this mean I now think Gore is the best
person for office? No.