[Newspoetry] poem II

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 19 13:54:29 CST 2001

Dear Editor,

A recent letter characterizes Montana and North Dakota as
"uninteresting".  We would like to take issue with this
characterization in the strongest possible way.  Reticulated and
Detached bison have been grazing in these two fine states for
thousands of years and have found them delightful both for their lush
fields of gently waving grass and for the rustic charm of their
mountainous areas.

It is true that during the past ice age, the area was largely
inaccessible due to enormous glaciers.  But we can personally assure
you that these glaciers are a thing of the past, and that the moraines
they've left behind are really quite lovely this time of year.  Rumors
about mammoths, saber-toothed tigers, and bigfoot are all wildly
inaccurate.  We do encounter an occasional pack of wolves, but that's
why we travel in herds, after all.

Try galloping your herd through rush-hour traffic in Rhode Island or
Washington D.C., and you can see why we Reticulated and Detached bison
are so "interested" in Montana and North Dakota.  South Dakota's nice
too.

                        Yours,
                        North American Reticulated and
                        Detached Bisson Association