[Newspoetry] poetry needed

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:47:17 CST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 07:14:01AM -0600, John Wason wrote:
> >The Newspoetry strategic reserves are all tapped out. ...
>
> I'm curious what would happen if the newspoetry well was absolutely tapped
> out.  Has that ever happened in the history of newspoetry?  I hate to even
> think about it.  I love newspoetry, think it's wonderful.

It's happening.  The Newspoetry surplus projections have been adjusted
downward.

When this happens I come before the Newspoetry public and beg.

Usually I remind them that if they don't write poems, I'm going to
have to write them all myself.  And no one wants that. ;)

> I have 5-10 more newspoems, but I've been sort of submitting them slowly.  I
> haven't wanted my stuff to be the only stuff that's published.  Nor have I
> wanted my stuff NOT to be published because there was too much other
> material, or because there was a perception that I was somehow getting too
> much "air time".

It's fine to submit a lot of poems.  Usually I can schedule them up to
a month in advance, so if I get a block which I want to run, I space
them out assuming that I'll receive other poems which I can use to
fill in the cracks.  My rule of thumb is simply to avoid running the
same poet two days in a row.

As for Nicky, Isadore, and William, I'm going to have to dock their
pay unless they cough up some verse.  ;)

editor-before-chief
Newspoetry dot calm