[Newspoetry] new protest poem

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 30 11:19:51 CST 2001

NO MORE A-COUNTRY WAR (A PROTEST POEM)
(Note: "A-country" means Afghanistan.)

War in A-country needs to be stopped
Because the doors to Bin Laden will never be propped.
Already some civilians had died in the war,
So we need to pull out before there is any more.

We've been through the 9-11 attacks,
And then the subsequent cases of anthrax.
But doing bombing isnt the right way for us
To get away from this fearful fracas.

Surely over there you hear about all that Taliban crap
That put the A-country on the map.
Using bombs wont make the scary T-word disappear:
Those hard-liners will instead be hard-headed even as we
   them sear.

It is perhaps best that we leave those hard-line Islam
      fundamentalists alone,
And let the A-country stop the T-word on its own.
That way we wont have this big impasse of a deal
That is still going on now in Israel.

Sadly, war costs us money,
So war needs to be stopped so we can have days sunny.
If there is a failure to end the bombing sessions,
Our country will fall into a deep recession.

War in A-country needs to be stopped
For winter there means front-line mountains will be snow-
    topped,
And we are already wasting time fighting the war,
So we need to pull out before we waste any more.

         --CHARLES JOSEPH SMITH
           ("LINDEN")