[Newspoetry] Comment on History of A Wrongful Loyalty Equation

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Tue Apr 23 17:01:57 CDT 2002

The Story from
Ecumenical News International  News Highlights  23 April 2002

Criticism leads Canadian Jewish Congress
to pull out of interfaith group

Vancouver (ENI). Canada's most prominent Jewish organisation
has withdrawn its participation of 30 years in an interfaith
consultation following the appearance of a website message
critical of Israeli policy written by a church dialogue partner.
The Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) announced on 10 April that
it was pulling out of the inter-religious Canadian Christian Jewish
Consultation (CCJC). A message on the Anglican Church of Canada's
website was "the straw that broke the camel's back", said Manuel
Prutschi, the CJC's national director of community relations, who
accused the Anglican church and the United Church of Canada of
being "one-sided". [683 words, ENI-02-0120]

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Comment on History of A Wrongful Loyalty Equation

I have always argued that criticism of the Administration
in power betokens no hostility to the Government of the
People, but a love of what the Government of the People
has promised, by solemn vows, to be when it acts as
that Government of the People.  And, I have said this,
despite the fact that little that any Administration does
ever pleases me enough to become its foolish follower.

Now, apparently, criticizing the likely immorality of a
Government in Israel is being touted as opposition to
the very State itself.  Apparently, Israel herself has
forgotten that the anti-institution of the holy prophets
was a sincere sign that God had no particular love for
any Administration, even though He always loved Israel.

So, I expect to hear next, news from Jerusalem, that
Israel has broken off diplomatic relations with God, too.
What else could we expect of evil and corrupt leaders
like Sharon and his anti-Semitic neo-Nazi right wingers?

We must never forget that man's inhumanity to man
includes possible harms by Jewish inhumanity, as well.
The Jewish people are not sacrosanct now, nor have
they ever been that way in all their history -- except
when extremely evil and corrupt leaders were in power.

So, we know the true measure of any Administration,
as to how evil and corrupt it is, by the extent to which
it loudly and continuously proclaims its sacrosanctity,
for innocence never needs to belabor holy cow pieties.

(And, by this very token, of course, anyone would also
know how evil and corrupt the Bush Administration is.)

Thanks for listening
Donald L Emerick