[Newspoetry] Please share the words of "The Pledge" with your readers!

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Wed Jun 19 15:20:14 CDT 2002

I remember when I was in grade school, Illinois passed a law requiring us
to say the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of every school day.  My
homeroom teacher did nothing to disguise her disgust with this law, and
eventually one day when we were all standing preparing to say the pledge,
she said, "oh, forget it, we don't have to say this pledge today."  We
never said the pledge after that, and I've always admired my teacher for
showing me how liberating civil disobedience can be.

At 03:11 PM 6/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Curious...
>
>I wonder what The Pledge was approved by the NYC BOE for use as...
>
>I know there are some students in the NYC public schools who by religion are
>banned from making pledges/oaths.  That's why the Pledge of Allegiance is
>rarely recited in public schools anymore.
>
>So if classrooms begin reciting this pledge...I wonder if this will end up
>in the courts....
>
> > Please help me share the message of "The Pledge" with our children and
> youth.
> > We also have a Spanish version (La Promesa). The Pledge was approved by the
> > NYC Board of Education. Alberto O. Cappas, Author. The Pledge/La Promesa.
> >
> > The Pledge

editor-within-chief
http://www.newspoetry.com/