[Newspoetry] Only an Idiot Could Blow His Lines

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed May 29 01:36:02 CDT 2002

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Our wars have won for us every hour we live in freedom."
PRESIDENT BUSH,at a cemetery above Omaha Beach.
NewYorkTimes 28 May 2002

Only an Idiot Could Blow His Lines

Contrary to the lie told above,
our wars have not won for us
every hour we live in freedom.

For instance, take one of the wars
we have waged against Mexico.
Where was our freedom at stake
when we stormed for once and future king,
the haunted, hallowed halls of Montezuma?

Where was our freedom at stake
when we fought at the (Los) Alamo(s)?
We fought that war to make Texas
a nation where slavery was legal.
When was this "our" freedom's finest --
freedom to own others as slaves?

Was it our freedom that led us
to dishonor treaty after treaty
with free American peoples,
stealing their lands,
clearing their forests,
burning their prairies,
slaughtering their herds,
imprisoning them on reservations,
and then shabbily mistreating them
even up to this very day and hour?

Even the so-called American revolution
was fought when it had no need to be,
for the Revolution only accomplished,
at most, and savagely, what would come
about in the course of time, peacefully,
as it did over most of the great British Empire,
except when people got impatient and violent.

I shall not even mention the most stupid
War of 1812 that we fought bullheadedly,
trying to seize control of all northern lands:
We can thank God that we lost that War!
(But we are stuck with its ugly Anthem.)
Note: no freedom was in peril there, either.

I could mention the many colonial wars
we have fought, the largest of which were
island conquests of Cuba and Philippines.
Where was any freedom of ours at stake?

And, then, there are mass-murdering wars,
which Bush over-generalizes, at best,
the horrid European war to end all wars,
and to make the world safe for democracy,
and the Big One we had to fight after that,
because we pretended that Perpetual Peace
was no problem requiring our sincere help.

So, maybe, in the Big One, WWII, Freedom --
having been a casualty in every other war --
finally might have taken a mortal wounding,
and have perished from a siege of villainies,
and have required, at last, its own rescue --
but only when we ignore how capitalism
tried to do business with the evil empires,
despite their manifest, overt, obvious evil,
until the evil empires got overly greedy,
and bit the hand that was feeding them.
But, using Pentagonal patter-de-fois-du-temps:
Freedom was unavoidable collateral damage,
like an innocent Palestinian in a harm's way.

And then, too, there was an Insurrection,
a War between the States, fought over
a political principle: is Union dissolvable?
Lincoln said no state may divorce itself
from political Union as marriage is sacred.
Many fought, Many were hurt, Many died,
and so Lincoln proved Might makes Right,
and incidentally ended slavery, but only
in those states in rebellious Insurrection,
where such measure was good politics
but, after war, his party sold blacks out,
sold them back into lives ruled by terror.
So, was "our" freedom at stake, there?

Also, don't cite Korea or Vietnam to me,
as stupidity of those war rises to my gorge.

I am sure that I have left out many little wars
from this list when freedom was not at stake.

A statistician, seeing this evidence,
theorizing on socio-political propositions,
could not help but conclude, infallibly:
the President is an unblinking idiot
if he believes the kind of bullshit
that flows from his mouth so freely.

Thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick

(PS: but then, what do you expect from
a President who never studied seriously
any history, science, math or school book
in his whole damned insatiably greedy life?
Never forget: our chosen king is an idiot!)

((PPS: I apologize to all idiots who may think
themselves slurred by classifying Bullshit
in their crowd, for Bush is below them, too.))

(((PPPS:  And, I love America, but I am not
so stupid as to believe wars create freedom,
despite facts of this falsehood's popularity.
Almost every war is fought for other reasons,
which absolutely are unrelated to freedom.)))