[Newspoetry] CU Cityview

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 3 10:54:41 CST 2003

Huh? Are you for real? I thought the Cityview was too bland to die. As an
advertising zine, it seems to have systematically dismantled any content
that would interfere with its quasi-hip consumer aesthetic, and their
self-defeating attempts to recast Champaign-Urbana as a progressive
community on a par with Austin (which, I'll wager, has a smarter
alternative weekly newspaper that doesn't print vapid articles about how
Austin is almost as cool as Portland). What gives?