[Newspoetry] Fighting it out at the gut level of survival

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Mon Sep 11 15:51:27 CDT 2006

One of several recent stories,

On the true status of our soldiers in combat.

Read it and weep, read it and weep.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/091006G.shtml

Our soldiers once talked of the great cause,

Of fighting for freedom and democracy,

Of building a new and better Iraq,

Of liberating the people and bettering lives.

All that talk is gone, down in the infantry,

The cynicism of sheer survival now prevails:

In their guts, they know Bush is nuts -

But it's their nuts and their guts,

Their hearts, their blood,

Their limbs and their lives,

Bush sacrifices on His Altar of His Pride,

All to avoid the grim visage of defeat,

Of a failed war of rank opportunism.

In the journal of the armed forces,

A few days ago, a neo-con crowd leader

Now calls for wars of ethnic cleansing,

Throughout the troubled Mideast -

Saying, simply, "Ethnic cleansing works."

See http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/091106J.shtml.

Oh, send that blood-thirsty man to the front,

Let him see all the cleansing blood-spilling

Of our soldiers who die like a herd of lambs

Struggling for protection from such wolves,

By fighting now, only to save each other,

In the horror of a war that has no end,

And thus offers no possibility but death.

But, would anyone take a bullet for him?

Would anyone watch his back for him?

Would Rumsfeld take a punch for him?

Is water thicker than blood in neo-cons?

For, that is all they have for protection,

Just oceans between them and the lambs,

In a world they'd divide by seas of blood.