[Peace-discuss] For the Art: Rock Music with a seditious wink

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 20:11:23 CST 2001

illinoisgreens-subscribe at egroups.com
illinoisgreens-unsubscribe at eGroups.com

From: Rockrap at aol.com
Full-name: Rockrap
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:57:21 EST
Subject: Re: Rock Music with a seditious wink
To: Arceee at aol.com

     The following is the lead article from the October Rock & Rap
Confidential. The entire October issue focuses on music's relationship to
war and terrorism. We would be happy to send you a copy. Just email us at
rockrap at aol.com with your name and a postal address. If you think what we've
written here is important, please forward it along to others.
    Thanks and peace--The editors of Rock & Rap Confidential

IMAGINE THERE'S NO UNITY
. "United We Stand,"  America's ever-present new
slogan, does have a ring of truth. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine
put it best four days after the September 11 attacks. "Our deepest sympathy
and condolences go out to all the people and their families affected by the
attacks on Tuesday," Morello said. "The loss of innocent life is just
terrible
.The pain felt across the country demonstrates the lesson of
Tuesday's events: that the taking of innocent life is devastating to a
society and terribly wrong."

     In the wake of the terror, a spirit of togetherness emerged from New
York City and captured the imagination of the country. "We, the gruff New
Yorkers who reputedly step over street people indistinguishably drunk or
dead, are doing heroic, selfless things," said a September 13 email from Sub
Verse, a hip-hop label with offices a few blocks from the World Trade Center.

     But the unity built around sympathy, fear, or even anger only goes so
far, definitely not as far as unity around giving the government a blank
check for the bombing of Afghanistan or for anything else. Steve Harvey, TV
star and the top-rated DJ in Los Angeles on KKBT-FM, has repeatedly told his
listeners that we cannot trust our government to take us into war, that he
will not allow his own son to be sacrificed, and that we need to focus on our
own problems, such as homelessness.

     How can we unite with a government that gave out $15 billion in aid to
airlines that had refused to give severance pay to laid-off workers? The same
airlines were silent when the Massachusetts governor's chauffeur was made
head of security at Boston's Logan Airport last year and they still refuse to
reinforce cockpit doors because it's "too expensive" (what's that $15 billion
for?). For Chrissakes, the Department of Energy proposes that we allow our
food to be canned with radioactive steel, while the Treasury Secretary calls
for an end to Medicare and Social Security. Who can unite with that?

     The restless whispers over such facts might become a scream if the
American people knew how deeply their government has been involved in the
rise of the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden, how hard the CIA worked to  promote
a distorted Islamic fundamentalism at hundreds of Pakistan-based religious
schools attended by guerillas, and how deeply our government has been
involved in international drug dealing (60% of US heroin now comes from the
Afghanistan/Pakistan border area and the CIA's Charles Cogan admitted guilt
in 1995: "There was fallout in terms of drugs, yes. But the
.Soviets left
Afghanistan.")

     The world is most certainly divided but not between Americans and Arabs.
The fundamental division is between wealth and poverty. According to the UN,
35,615 children worldwide died of hunger and hunger-related diseases on
September 11 and on each day since. 447 billionaires now have more wealth
than the poorest 2.75 billion people on the planet put together. And it's not
only everywhere else. In America, this is reflected in millions of homeless
people, tens of millions of people with no health insurance, and a shift in
spending from education to prisons.

     In other words, the average American has a lot more in common with the
average Arab than with the people who run the U.S. government. The average
Arab has a lot more in common with the average American than with the likes
of Osama Bin Laden, a Saudi construction tycoon who is one of those 447
billionaires. If Americans and Arabs could both divide from the governments,
corporations, and organizations that offer us only war and poverty, then we
could unite to imagine a peaceful and prosperous world.

     The first step in that process is communication, both among ourselves
and with the rest of the world. Our primary means of communication is music.
So it's no coincidence that there has been a great increase in music
censorship. It began right after September 11, when  the 1200-station
broadcast behemoth Clear Channel Communications banned all music by Rage
Against the Machine and issued a don't-play list of 150 songs, ranging from
Nena's anti-nuke  "99 Luft Balloons" to John Lennon's sublime "Imagine," with
its lyric "I hope someday you'll join us/And the world will live as one."

     Clear Channel protested that it wasn't really a ban but its true colors
were revealed October 1 when the company fired Davey D from his post as
Community Affairs Director at KMEL/San Francisco. For over a decade, Davey D,
the world's foremost hip-hop journalist, has put controversial issues and
personalities on the air at KMEL. Will Steve Harvey at Clear Channel-owned
KKBT be the next victim of the chain's sleazy quid pro quo with the
government? (On September 13, just before the Clear Channel censors went into
action, the FCC declared its intent to lift all ownership restrictions on
broadcast chains).

     On September 14, the Secret Service closed down Rage Against the
Machine's website. Other musicians who voiced opinions not approved by the
government came under pressure to retract them. Kevin Richardson of the
Backstreet Boys apologized (kind of) because he asked during a Toronto
interview: "What has our government done to provoke this action that we don't
know about?" Moby apologized (definitely) for saying that the people of New
York had been "failed" by the FBI and CIA who "exist solely to protect us
from this sort of atrocity."

     There was also censorship by omission. On September 11 the highly
political metal band System of a Down had the most popular album in the
world. But while right-wing talking heads you've never heard of got unlimited
face time, System of a Down was ignored. Perhaps that was because frontman
Serj Tankian was insisting that we try to actually understand world events:
"No one in the media seems to ask why did these people do this horrific act
of violence and destruction?"

     As for hip-hop, it was invisible despite the fact that rap stars donated
millions of dollars to relief efforts, while others organized concerts or
town hall meetings. As Davey D put it in his FNV newsletter (www.daveyd.com),
"Because of the narrowcasting in news coverage, the average person has no
idea what Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, or KRS-One is thinking."

     Now we are officially at war.  Music, which is fundamentally for peace,
will come into increasing conflict with the government. That's all to the
good, but  if we don't find effective ways to support musicians, the sound of
silence will become deafening.

Rock & Rap Confidential
Box 341305
Los Angeles CA 90034