[Peace-discuss] President-Hollywood Appeal

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 00:52:32 CST 2001

Hi,

I thought you might want to "sink your teeth" into this one, if you haven't
already seen it.  This was on the CNN news site today.  Interestingly
enough, they had it on for a few hours, and after that it was pulled off.
It reports about how the President is soliciting Hollywood decision-makers
to reflect his viewpoint on the screen, in movie theater short clips before
movies, etc.  I've excerpted it as it's a bit long, but if anyone wants the
whole thing, please e-mail me off-list and I'll send it.

WHITE HOUSE SEES HOLLYWOOD ROLE IN WAR ON TERRORISM  (Excerpts from Article)

November 8, 2001 Posted 4:52 PM EST

From: John King
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN)  President Bush’s top political strategist plans to meet
with an array of entertainment executives Sunday to discuss the war on
terrorism and ways that Hollywood stars and films might work in concert, in
ways both formal and informal, with the administration’s communications
strategy.
The effort is spearhead by senior Bush adviser Karl Rove and Jack Valenti,
chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, who attended a White
House meeting earlier this week to lay the groundwork for the
session...............

The effort is spearhead by senior Bush adviser Karl Rove and Jack Valenti,
chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, who attended a White
House meeting earlier this week to lay the groundwork for the session.
The meeting is set for 11a.m. local time at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly
Hills.  A final roster of attendees is  not set, but an industry source
said major studio executives and network entertainment chiefs were invited
along with “top tier” creative minds from Hollywood.

One senior administration official familiar with the planning said Rove had
a number of thoughts about how the entertainment industry could “be part of
the spirit” in the country.
The official said Rove “anticipates the industry would be doing a lot of
things on its own, but also sees an opportunity to do some things together.”
Among the ideas that have come up in informal discussions:  public service
announcements saluting U.S. troops, or discussions of homeland security
efforts here in the United States.
Another possibility is for prominent Arabs and Muslims to make statements
reflecting the White House line that it is a war against terrorism, not
Islam. Such “shorts”  brief productions  might be aired in movie theaters
before feature films or provided to media outlets as public service
announcements.
Rove also wants to give industry executives a general outline of a
multifaceted campaign “because it is clear that the topics the president
and the world are dealing with are topics the entertainment industry is
going to deal with in its full spectrum of programs and other products,”
the official said.
This official said there was no effort to pressure the industry, but that
as issues like homeland security, terrorism, and chemical and biological
warfare are portrayed in entertainment and other media programming and
products, “it is our hope that these issues are handled in a responsible
manner and providing information on what we are up to and what we see as
the challenges hopefully is something they will find
useful.”....................

“We don’t expect them to ask ‘Make movies glorifying the president or the
troops’ and that is not something we would be receptive to if they did
ask,” this source said.  “But there is a high level of interest in being
supportive and informative  and these are the people who give things the
green light and get projects going.”

In addition to programs aimed at domestic audiences, this official said the
discussion was almost certain to include “things that can be tailored for
more of an international view, and also things for the Armed Forces
networks so we can reach the troops overseas
This will be a solid
brainstorming session.”