[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: Interview with Noam Chomsky by Radio B92, Belgrade

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Tue Oct 16 10:39:11 CDT 2001

I'd also like to know more about this. I did just hear on CNN that the the
US dropped 2 bombs on Red Cross warehouses filled with wheat in Kabul
today, according to Red Cross sources. Ghastly. And I think it's likely
enough - inevitable denials aside - to have been intentional, as food is as
likely to be considered a "dual-use military-civilian target" by the
Pentagon as the electric plants and international phone exchange that have
already been intentionally destroyed.

I just phoned someone at the Institute for Public Accuracy
(www.accuracy.org) in Washington, D.C. to see if they knew any more about
this. They don't, they but suspect that as the quote's a few weeks old,
Chomsky was probably referring to the well-known US demands to seal borders
and pull out aid workers. (IPA's superb, by the way - their exec director,
Norman Solomon, is a syndicated columnist who's written recently of the
hypocrisy of snack drops from 30,000 feet and GW's call for kids to send
him a dollar for the Red Cross. He was also a guest on CSPAN's call-in show
yesterday morning for about a half hour, where he succeeded in advertising
Democracy Now and commondreams.org, among other things. A national treasure.)

Ironies abound - today is UN World Food Day, according to the guy at IPA.

BTW, an atrocious op-ed piece in the N-G yesterday (what other kind do they
print?) by David Broder was an enthusiastic gush for the propaganda food
drops - they're earning "bipartisan" support from such staunch defenders of
democracy as Joe Lieberman, ahem. Anybody care to write a letter? (They've
already declined to print one of mine - which makes me think it'd be fun
for AWARE to publicize an essay contest for pro-peace letters the Gazoo
refuses to publish.)

peace,
Jim

Here's a Reuters story on the Red Cross bombing: