[Peace-discuss] military recruitment on WEFT (!)

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:43:21 CDT 2003

Randall,

I once heard such an announcement on the African music show, phoned
immediately, and got reassurance that it would not happen again at
least on that show.  I am appalled that it was on again.  We have to
make it clear to WEFT that this is unacceptable.

At 4:56 PM -0500 8/21/03, Randall Cotton wrote:
>I'm a long-time WEFT listener and supporter and have recently begun
>volunteering at WEFT.
>
>I just heard a pre-recorded, professionally produced military
>recruitment spot for the U.S. Marines inserted right in the middle
>of Democracy Now! (about 4:20PM today, Thursday).
>
>I've been a listener for over 15 years and this is the most
>revolting thing I've ever heard on WEFT.
>
>Why was this played? Does this somehow qualify as a Public Service
>Announcement?
>
>I am profoundly disgusted and alarmed by this. Anyone else?

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive