[Peace-discuss] progressive books

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 22 22:12:38 CST 2003

	[1] Noam Chomsky,
	HEGEMONY OR SURVIVAL: AMERICA'S QUEST FOR GLOBAL DOMINANCE.
	Even more wide-ranging than the title suggests, a readable
	compendium of Chomsky's views.

	[2] Tariq Ali,
	BUSH IN BABYLON: THE RECOLONIZATION OF IRAQ.
	A Brit of Pakistani extraction, the author is a polymath who
	writes about the present situation in the context of the history
	of the region, unfamiliar to even many sophisticated commentators;
	even manages to include a section on poets exiled by Saddam
	Hussein and now kept out by the US because of their political
	significance.

	[3] Jeffrey St. Clair,
	BEEN BROWN SO LONG, IT LOOKED LIKE GREEN TO ME:
	THE POLITICS OF NATURE.
	The best environmental journalist in the country today --
	indefatigable and disturbing.

	[4] Alexander Cockburn & Jeffrey St. Clair, eds.,
	THE POLITICS OF ANTI-SEMITISM.
	New essays by academics (Shahid Alam, Michael Neumann and the late
	Edward Said), Israelis (Uri Avnery and refusenik Yigal Bronner),
	American Jews (Norman Finkelstein, Bruce Jackson and Lenni
	Brenner), journalists (Robert Fisk and Cockburn), and former
	senior CIA analysts (Bill and Kathy Christison), among others.

The first two are hardbacks, the second two are in paper.  --CGE