[Peace-discuss] religious leaders on war

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 09:16:13 CST 2003

United Press International --  March 20, 2003 Thursday
HEADLINE: Religious leaders comment on Iraq war
BYLINE: By CAROLYN AYON LEE

As the war against Iraq commenced, religious groups and leaders around the
world were unanimous in expressing sadness and appealing for prayers and
reconciliation. A roundup:

-- From the Rev. Dr. Konrad Raiser, general secretary of the World Council
of Churches:
  "At this time of repentance, the World Council of Churches prays for all
the people who will suffer in this war, as well as the soldiers and their
families. Although this is a day when diplomacy was rejected by some, our
call for peace remains. Any war comes at a high price of death of soldiers
and civilians, destruction of property and the environment, as well as
division of people, governments and cultures. This war is no exception. ..."
-- Pope John Paul II, in comments Wednesday marking that day as the feast
day of St. Joseph:
  "As a man of peace, we pray to St. Joseph for those threatened by war and
we invoke the precious gift of harmony upon the whole human family."
-- Papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said Tuesday to journalists:
  "Whoever decides that all peaceful means that international law has put at
our disposition have been exhausted assumes a serious responsibility before
God, his conscience and history."
-- The National Council of Churches issued a statement by its general
secretary, Bob Edgar, and its president, Elenie Huszagh. The NCC is a group
of 36 Protestant, Anglican and Orthodox denominations in the United States.
  "As U.S. hostilities begin against Iraq: We pray for the men and women of
the armed forces of both sides, facing grave dangers in a mission not of
their making. We pray for the innocent civilians of Iraq, especially the
children. May they be protected from harm and the multiple injustices of
war. We pray for all the people of the world who will be put at risk by the
unintended consequences of this war. We pray for all those in poverty whose
fragile well-being will be sacrificed in the preoccupation with -- and
expense of -- this war. ..."
-- From the secretary general of the Anglican Communion, the Rev. Canon John
L. Peterson:
  "The news of the invasion of Iraq by the United States and Britain demands
our fervent prayers for peace, forgiveness and reconciliation, for our
troubled world and for all God's people everywhere. ... Prayer can unite us
globally in a way nothing else can. May I urge your prayers for all innocent
victims of war, those who serve in the armed forces, for all relief and
disaster agencies, for hospital and care providers, chaplains, the media
personnel who influence so much in the world, the nations' leaders and those
in power and decision-making positions, the United Nations, and all who work
for peace with justice all over the world. ..."
-- From the Islamic Society of North America:
  "We, at the Islamic Society of North America, received with profound
sadness the news of the impending war on Iraq. We reiterate our position,
and that of the great majority of religious leaders and the international
community that this war is not justified and is not in the interest of the
United States, world peace and security, and the rule of law. We ask the
U.S. administration and Congress, and all peace-loving people to do all they
can to end this violence and minimize human suffering. We express our grave
concern about the expected fallout of this war, especially the loss of human
life on all sides, the destruction of the infrastructure of Iraq, and chaos
and instability that may follow. ..."
-- From the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, and the
Interreligious and International Federation for World Peace. Both
organizations were founded by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon. UPI is owned by News
World Communications Inc., which also was founded by Moon:
  "To help resolve the current emergency in the world, we wish to repent
deeply before the lord -- the king of love and peace -- and be forgiving and
forbearing toward one another so that we may build a world of peace. This
universal position has been adopted as a declaration in the spirit world by
the five great saints and even by former Communist leaders. On Earth, this
position is supported by the cooperation among the Interreligious,
International, Inter-NGO, and the Family Federations for Cosmic Peace and
Unification, and all the people of the world. We beseech You to let this
come to pass. This is our sincere prayer to almighty Jehovah."
-- Gordon B. Hinckley, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints, said in a speech earlier this week:
  "It appears that the nation, of which most of us are citizens, is
inexorably moving toward war. These are solemn and perilous times. If there
be any of our number in the reserves or National Guard who have been called
to duty, we extend our greatest appreciation and our love and respect to
them and to the families they have left behind. We pray with earnestness and
with faith that God will watch over them and preserve them and return them
unharmed to those who love them most. ..."
-- The Rev. Dr. Ishmael Noko, general secretary of the Lutheran World
Federation, was interviewed earlier this month by Lutheran World
Information. The federation has 136 member churches in 76 countries.
  "The threat of international terrorism is a new and powerful challenge to
global security, and it requires a response. But a response which is
primarily military and which lends itself to being characterized as a purely
'Western' or 'Christian' campaign against a Muslim nation risks promoting
the 'clash of civilizations' -- the very objective of the terrorists --
rather than the restoration of international security. The proposed military
action in Iraq, especially with the current likely configuration of actors,
is almost certain to cast a dark shadow over relations between Christianity
and Islam not only in the Middle East but in all other regions as well. "
-- From leaders of the United Church of Christ:
  "With heavy hearts we hear once again the drumbeat of war against Iraq. As
United Church of Christ leaders committed to God's reign of justice and
peace in the world and to the just conduct of our nation, we firmly oppose
this advance to war. The case for a pre-emptive attack on Iraq has not been
made. While Iraq's weapons potential is uncertain, the death that would be
inflicted on all sides in a war is certain. Striking against Iraq now will
not serve to prevent terrorism or defend our nation's interests. We fear
that war would only provoke greater regional instability and lead to the
mass destruction it is intended to prevent. ..."
-- From a letter from the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church of the
United States of America:
  "We remind ourselves now of those who need our prayers and concerns: all
who will be caught up in this conflict, our military personnel including our
chaplains, their families, people who suffer for conscience sake,
Arab-Americans of all faiths, followers of Islam around the world -- the
great majority of whom share a longing for peace, and the people of Iraq,
among whom are more than 1 million Christians. Our prayers must continue for
George (Bush), our president, and for the leaders of the nations, that they
will make wise and measured decisions that will protect the innocent and
will result in a swift and just peace, and the full restoration of the land
and people of Iraq. ..."