[Peace-discuss] Lowes Parking for public discussion on War

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 10:56:15 CST 2003

I just spoke to Mr. Chris Watkins, store manager, at Lowes Home Center
(217-373-7300) in Champaign, Illinois. He stated that he does not want either
"Pro-War" demonstrators nor "Anti-War" demonstrators parking in his parking
lot. He stated that his reason is that his business has been affected. I
asked him if he could verify that with documents? He refused. I asked him if
he could verify that anyone had ever inteferred with individuals entering his
place of business. He could not! He stated that he wanted his customers to
have a pleasant shopping experience without any interference. THAT IS HIS
RIGHT AND THE CUSTOMERS RIGHT.  I asked him how anyone could be interferring
with his business because his parking lot is usually over 1/2 empty at any
time and that because no demonstrator has been near his store or stopped
anyone from entering the store or parking lot how his business could have
been affected. He refused to answer.  I asked him for the name of Lowe's
district manager and the manager's telephone number which he at first refused
to give but when I asked several times he finally indicated that office of
Lowe's district manager was at the Bloomington Illinois store. Although, Mr.
Watkins expressed his opinion that demonstrating on either side was ok with
him he as the Champaign Illinois Lowe's Store manager did not want either
side "PRO-WAR" or "ANTI-WAR" using his virtually empty parking lot as a
parking area for participants any public demonstration.  I think that this
attitude, which verifies that Lowes will not facilitate urgrnt and esential
public discussion regarding the war by either PRO-WAR or ANTI-WAR American
citizens by permitting parking in their usually 1/2 empty parking lot on
Prospect avenue in Champaign Illinois during public demosntrations needs to
be highlighted at the local, regional, national, and international level.  As
a national company I believe that Lowes could facilitate public discussion
without its business being affected. If this is the local Champaign Illinois
store manager's policy to hinder public discussion of a criticial issue we
must ask if this is Lowe's national policy? Please post and distribute this
letter to all web sites and please send this email around the nation and
world to all of your email contacts.

thank you,

dr. doug rokke
disabled combat veteran